Probably a naming mistake made early on that would have been too much
effort to change later on.  Clearly though, mutual following indicates
"Friends" more that the unidirectional follow does.

In my system, we say "following" and "friends" like you suggest.  A
bit confusing, but I think easier than coming up with a new word for
mutual following.  You can see it here:

http://madison.imby.info/p/Philip.Crawford

--
imby - in my back yard
An Experiment in Local Professional Networking