Yes, the laws covered encryption technology and not ciphertext. You
are also correct about regulations concerning amateur radio broadcasts
but that is a different topic. The airwaves are highly regulated and
broadcasters must have a license. I see no legal difference between
inserting ciphertext into this email which is viewable by many and
inserting the same into a tweet.

It is indeed antisocial and Twitter may deem it violates TOS but I
think it would be legal. Remember, even simple things like ROT13 are
considered encryption. ROT13 was used heavily in usenet (you remember
that).

EBG13 vf rapelcgvba!

BTW, the amateur radio regulation has hampered one of my activities in
Disaster Response. If communication systems fail, amateur radio is
considered the great fall-back. So we discussed how to transfer files
which may contain health or financial information. We basically had to
go caveman style and write that our backup plan was to use a courier
even though we were sitting next to a fully functioning ham radio.