Would it be possible to use a 3rd party URL lengthener (like
http://longurlplease.com/) then use that?

Alice posts bit.ly/foo
Twitter changes it to t.co/bar
LongUrl returns bit.ly/foo resolves to example.com
App shows <a href="http://t.co/bar";>example.com</a>
When Bob clicks on example.com, he hits t.co, which then redirects to
bit.ly, which then redirects to example.

Aside from the annoyance / speed on a mobile of seeing the page reload
several times (assuming example.com doesn't redirect) does that seems
to be ok?

Terence