Presumably, in order to check that a URL is not malicious, it would
have to be accessed and analysed by tco.

In his post Raffi said, "Twitter will redirect them to the original
URL after first confirming with our database that that URL is not
malicious." So it's not by domain, but by URL.

One of our Twitter apps is built in to our CMS workflow and tweets new
content that an editor has selected. Now, I guess - unless domains can
be whitelisted - Twitter will have to crawl and approve the newly
minted content page... before publishing the Tweet ??