Various counts are off on Twitter right now, so you shouldn't be
basing much on counts.

If you are following the original tweeter, you get the retweet, but
not the deletion. If you are following the retweeter, you get both the
retweet and the deletion notice. This is due to a limitation in the
deletion message format -- there isn't enough information to route the
message in the first case. This affects several streaming use cases,
and is a known issue that we, eventually, hope to fix the next time
we're in that part of the code.

One workaround, albeit often impractical, is to take the full firehose
and do the correlation on your end.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Infrastructure, Twitter Inc.