Then perhaps I should ask my real question.  I'm working on a system
for broadcasting messages to subsets of our users and we have set up
separate accounts for each subset.  However, the company I work for
does not want these tweets to be fully public (they are not overly
sensitive but nonetheless...) but if I make the accounts protected,
then I can not automatically have our customers follow us since there
is no function in the api for accepting pending friend requests.

So my two options are to make a human login and periodically click the
'Accept all' link on several different accounts or I can write a bot
to do it (which I'm sure someone will tell me is a bad idea).  I
noticed that there were a couple bug reports about this issue but they
were closed with links to the now apparently defunct V2-Roadmap page
and obviously no solution in the last two years since the first bug
was filed.

Is there any chance this functionality will be coming to the api any
time soon or will I be forced to code around it indefinitely?