The breadth of functionality we have right now is, unfortunately:
GET friendships/incoming http://dev.twitter.com/doc/get/friendships/incoming
GET friendships/outgoing http://dev.twitter.com/doc/get/friendships/outgoing

and the rest of the friendship methods on the API.

Now, there may be a way to use these methods in combination with each other
to accomplish your goals, but I haven't yet connected the dots to ascertain
that.  I can take a close look, or if someone else on the list has more
experience in this arena, they might have a suggestion.

Otherwise, I'd recommend going on with your workaround. The v1 API is going
to be around for awhile, and I don't think we have this feature on our
immediate roadmap; that said, sometimes a new feature that's been requested
like this "just pops up." We'll announce when/if that happens.

Taylor