Okay, I'm totally confused with Twitter's move to drop HTTP BASIC
authorization.

My problem is with a set of Twitter accounts that are primarily
accessed PROGRAMATICALLY by server-side processes; there is no
"client" per se, or rather, the server process IS the client.  For
example, an automated process that periodically sends status tweets.
The programming currently uses the API with BASIC authentication (via
HTTPS).  I am a loss as to how OAuth is applied in this situation.

A clearly expressed example would be greatly appreciated.