We don't have current plans to fix this issue. The problem isn't around
utf-8, but rather around non-space separated languages. Our language
processing experts described the effort required, and it's a pretty large
project, and may be computationally impractical in the current streaming
architecture. There is a workaround, albeit a generally impractical one:
take the firehose and perform the language parsing on your end.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Twitter Inc.