For a desktop application you have one of two options -- use the PIN code
flow in which you still must send the user to a web browser to enter their
credentials, after which the user will be presented with a PIN code that
they must hand-enter into your application. Your other alternative is xAuth,
which allows your application to exchange a login and password for an OAuth
1.0a access token.

Sample code for these processes are very dependent on the language being
used. What language are you planning on developing in? If you're familiar
with PHP, there are many good code examples in Abraham's oauthtwitter
library: http://github.com/abraham/twitteroauth and the documentation
http://github.com/abraham/twitteroauth/blob/master/DOCUMENTATION

Taylor