Hey everyone,

We announced last week that we would be dynamically changing rate
limits and many of you noticed we have been doing that. There are many
techniques we've used and improvements we will continue to make to
deal with our capacity issues. Reducing the API rate-limit is not the
first or only method we use and is one we try to avoid if possible.
However, it is also one of the more effective ways to reduce load and
ensure that the Twitter service remains available to the greatest
number of users.

To ensure we can maintain service we're lowering the default rate
limit to 175.

Even with this lowered default limit we will still have times when we
need to dynamically change the allowed requests. Today is one of those
days where that has been required. In these situations you can stay up
to date by visiting http://status.twitter.com and following
@twitterapi.

We're all in the same boat here, Twitter uses the API for it's own
services so we also feel these reduced limits. All the Twitter for
mobile devices and mobile sites are being affected by this change. But
we need to do this to ensure the site and API stay available to as
wide an audience as possible. We don't want to be delivering service
failures to everyone.

We know there are still some questions around the dynamic rate
limiting and we have put together an FAQ at
http://dev.twitter.com/pages/rate_limiting_faq
which we hope answers them.

Thank you for your patience.

Matt Harris