I am just getting started with the streaming API, and I was a bit
puzzled by this line in the documentation:

"While a client can be built around cycling connections, perhaps using
curl for transport, the overall reliability will tend to be poor due
to operational gotchas. Save curl for debugging and build upon a
persistent process that does not require periodic reconnections."

I am not at all familiar with the internals of how libcurl works, so
maybe I'm missing something quite obvious, but can't curl/libcurl keep
a persistent connection? Why does using it require periodic
reconnections? In fact, many examples around the web of how to consume
the streaming API seem to use libcurl. (I'm using Python so have been
looking at this example in particular:
http://arstechnica.com/open-source/guides/2010/04/tutorial-use-twitters-new-real-time-stream-api-in-python.ars)