Quoting Matt Harris <thematthar...@twitter.com>:

Hi James,

I'm not sure why the location field is missing from those search results so
I'll need to follow that up. Can you file it as a defect in the API Issues
List: http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/list
and i'll look into it.

Just to clarify though, the location field is the location you see under a
users name on their Twitter profile page. It is a free-text field in which
the user can put anything they want. If Twitter Search can reverse geocode
the text in that field it will use it as the geo for the Tweet only when the
Tweet itself doesn't have any geo co-ordinates. This means when you perform
a Geocoded Twitter Search you may see results you wouldn't expect. For
example somebody who says their location is San Francisco but is on holiday
in New York may not geocode their Tweets and so their Tweets will be indexed
as being in San Francisco.

Hope that explains how this works.

Thanks,
Matt

If your search query does *not* include a 'geocode=' parameter, the tweets returned will *not* have *any* location information! I don't recall if this is a bug or a feature, or whether I filed an issue report. ;-)