I assume you mean you're using statuses/mentions to retrieve the
tweets you're looking for. If you want to get just the most recent
mentions since the last time you fetched them, you should pass the id
of the most recent mention you have in the since_id parameter. You
can't send it a timestamp.

Here is the documentation: http://dev.twitter.com/doc/get/statuses/mentions