Don't think this solves the problem you're talking about necessarily,
and I'm still guilty of this in same places in my app, but rather than
storing the profile_image_url in your db and having to check to update
it when it gets stale, you can just reference it with an API call:
http://dev.twitter.com/doc/get/users/profile_image/:screen_name