I'm using tweepy to access statuses/filter. Having standard access, I
can stream 200 users in my site follow list. I'd like to stream the
200 most active users and pick up the rest with scheduled API calls.

I thought I would simply calculate the number of statuses posted
during the last month for all users in the follow list. I don't know
of any way to accomplish that. I was thinking about retrieving the the
status ID from exactly one month ago, but I can't trust my cached
statuses to represent the absolute beginning of the month. Also, the
cache is cleared when I modify my strategy for dealing with timelines
and such.

I am currently following 100 users so this isn't a problem yet. I use
PHP and MySQL... and a little python.