Hello Rostand,

I did my master's thesis using twitter data. My recommendation:

- You can not will not and should not get DMs. They are *private*. Even if you
do a closed study with 300 consenting people, it's unethical. If you're in the
US, the ethics committee of your university will have you for lunch.

- Using the stream is easier because the API requires OAUTH, but you will need
to apply and wait. However, the API will give you historical data.

- Coding your software will take more time than you think!

SUMMARY

Use an external service instead! There are several people who can collect
tweets for you. Have a look at:

http://140kit.com/
http://www.contextminer.org/

Good luck!