Hi there,

We're a bit behind on processing whitelisting requests, as we had a
hiatus of approving requests during the World Cup. Whitelisting is a
privilege granted on a case-by-case basis (criteria and acceptance
rates change over time), but we don't generally provide whitelisting
for research or academic purposes.

In most cases, researchers (and developers) wanting expanded access to
the Search API would be better served by implementing the Streaming
API instead. Rate limits are in place to ensure best performance for
the highest number of users. While higher limits would benefit the
speed at which many research projects may be completed, the vast
majority will have to make do with the current rate limits.

Rate limiting, whitelisting and their role within the Twitter
ecosystem are reviewed frequently.

Thanks,
Taylor