I found that statuses/friends and statuses/followers have an
undocumented field called next_cursor_str and prev_cursor_str, which
are simply the string values of those fields in addition to the digits
passed back in next_cursor and prev_cursor. Is this planned to stay
this way? (can I rely on them always being in the api?)

I was working around a known json_decode bug on 32-bit machines on one
of our test portables, where it could not decode the next_cursor, no
big deal, but when I found the 'str' versions of the cursors I turned
off the workaround. Once $id's get large enough, 32-bit machines will
need json_decode to work right too....so the workaround might be
needed then.

Mark