I too have been developing open source Twitter applications. I'm using Perl though, not PHP. I am about to release all of my code that operates *unauthenticated* in open source form, but I am strongly leaning now towards *not* providing open source solutions for authenticated access to the Twitter API.

The risks are too great and the rewards are too small. Perhaps when the oAuth-authenticated API is *delivering* the 1500 calls per hour promised, the rewards will change, but right now, for things like tweet and user data acquisition, there's not enough difference between the unauthenticated 150 and the oAuth 350 calls per hour to justify the extra code.

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
http://borasky-research.net http://twitter.com/znmeb

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." - Paul Erdos