There are plenty of open source *library* developers, and plenty of applications that use open source libraries, but not all that many open source full applications. The only ones I can think of at the moment are Gwibber (Gnome), Choqok (KDE), mine (Social Media Analytics Research Toolkit), Spaz, get2gnow, and ttytter. IMHO Choqok and Gwibber are lame - I use CoTweet or Twitter.com on my desktop and mobile.twitter.com, Twitter, Twidroid, Seesmic, Touiteur and Peep on my HTC Verizon Droid Incredible.

The Twitter piece of Social Media Analytics Research Toolkit is at the moment read only, and as I noted earlier the main reason I even looked at oAuth was to get the 1500 (read) API calls per hour. Given the small number of users I have at the moment, it wouldn't be all that difficult to "upgrade" them to oAuth and 350 calls per hour one at a time by hand - all that would be required is to license that piece of code separately. ;-)
--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
http://borasky-research.net http://twitter.com/znmeb

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." - Paul Erdos

Quoting Michael Babcock <mjet...@gmail.com>:

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Twitter risk loosing a large
percentage of their third party open-source developers, by not having
a solid solution for the required OAuth security changes in time for
the deadline?

I can only guess, but, I would think that the open-source segment
would count for quite a large number of independent developers, all
eager to build for and promote the Twitter vision.

Michael

On Jul 27, 8:59 am, Taylor Singletary <taylorsinglet...@twitter.com>