I'm trying to build a web application that compiles the trends in a
particular vertical around mentions of people's names as a gauge of
popularity. I was planning to use the Ellerdale Project's API but
they're shutting it down after getting acquired.

The use case would look something like Ellerdale's illustration but
for a different type of vertical: http://trends.ellerdale.com/trends/politics

I'd like to query the twitter API to get number of mentions/messages
relating to a name over a defined period of time (1 hour, 1 day). Is
it possible to do this? Seems like you need access to the firehose and
have a very compute-intensive back-end to derive this.

Or is there another aggregation service with an API you know of?

Thanks
Neil