Hey gloopymoop,

Like the original thread said, you can use the search API to search
for tweets to that particular user and check the in_reply_to_status_id
field. If you want to track the chain (ie all the replies to
@dtran320's reply to @gloopymoop's original tweet), then you have to
periodically search each user in the chain.

A more efficient way of achieving this would be to use the Track or
Follow streaming API methods and add one users as they join the reply
chain: http://dev.twitter.com/pages/streaming_api_methods#follow