I have no idea why :user is used, although I can imagine that it has
something to do with accounts that are managed by multiple people
(contributors) or something. To be honest, I have no idea at all.

To answer your question about the best source of API documentation:
dev.twitter.com, and if you can't find it there, Google. Of course,
you can always ask it on this list.

Tom