Quoting themattharris <thematthar...@twitter.com>:

A Promoted Trend is one a topic which is already trending on Twitter
but not popular enough to make it onto the Trending Topics list. A
topic which isn’t popular on Twitter already cannot become a Promoted
Trend.

Let's say I've produced a movie - "I am a Villager - Diary of a Werewolf". I've promoted that movie lots of places, and people are starting to talk about it on Twitter. How do I know when it makes it into the "already trending on Twitter but not popular enough" position?

Does Twitter's sales team call me up and say, "We've noticed that 'I am a Villager' is an emerging trend - would you like to buy 'Promoted Tweets' and 'Promoted Trends'?" Or does the studio or an agency come to Twitter at the beginning of the campaign and say, "We've got a really great movie coming out and want to buy exposure on Twitter. How do we do that?"

I would hope and pray that it's the latter! I would hope it's something like the Old Spice campaign that some of my friends here in Portland helped to build. There *have* to be planning, coordination, partnerships, tools, design, metrics, analytics, key performance indicators, etc. to make this stuff work.

As developers the benefit to you of displaying the Promoted Products
is that Twitter will share revenue with you. We’re still working out
the exact value and will keep you informed on developments.

Is there a penalty attached to *not* displaying them? Is there a penalty attached to ignoring the whole API? ;-)

For users the benefit is that they will see time, context and event
sensitive trends promoted by advertising partners. Only Tweets which
users engage with will be kept. This means if users don’t interact
with a Promoted Tweet it will disappear.

Like all of the other Twitter services, there's what the web application reads and writes and what third-party tools read and write on behalf of users via the API. Is there going to be a distinction in the metrics for "resonance" of a Promoted Tweet between interactions coming from the web application and interactions coming from other sources? Will the analytics be available to the third-party developers, or do we need to build those into our applications?

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
http://borasky-research.net http://twitter.com/znmeb

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." - Paul Erdos