On 8/10/10 12:58 PM, bitstream wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've been reading api docs lately but still can't figure it out what
> will be the best approach when searching for hashtags.
> streaming
> I know that streaming api support statuses/filter where I can declare
> 'track'. It's possible to use statuses/filter and add a track on
> '%23hashtag' ?
>
> search
> Or use a simple approach by calling search api and parse response from
> something like this: http://search.twitter.com/search.json?q=%23hashtag

My opinion:

It depends. If you want to track a lot of keywords, you should use
streaming. If you track only one keyword, then both are an option,
depending on the amount of tweets for the hashtag. If you have a lot of
keywords but they vary (for example, when users can add/remove hashtags)
then you should consider a combination of both, where you reset the
stream every hour and update it with new hashtags, and use the REST API
for the hashtags that get added in the hour. After all, you don't want
to reconnect too often.

Tom