Thanks for the suggestion. I think I probably have a good but not
perfect solution which is much less work and also not likely to ever
fail:

1 - favorites and specific user updates have a count associated with
them at any time. I can use that count to know when I am done. Pretty
much.
2 - friends/followers/lists all have a next_cursor, so does a search,
that works for me now.
3- Home timeline is an issue, but I can see how twitter will find that
difficult to count for me or give me a next_cursor, etc. I guess if
someone clicks 'more' once in a long while and I have to refresh to
the same page with no more button because my one extra read showed no
more updates, then I can live with that.

Unless someone has a better idea?

Mark