Hey,

We're tracking this issue on our bug tracker. In that thread there are a
number of examples and solutions that have helped users, as well as an
explanation of how the asynchronous processing affects what is happening.

Im summary. the reason the old avatar profile image URL is being returned is
because we haven't yet processed the uploaded image. This is because images
which are uploaded are processed asynchronous instead of during the POST
request. What this means is the profile image URL only gets updated when,
and if, the image conversion is successful. For developers this means a few
things:

1) A 200 OK from an image upload means we received the file, it doesn't mean
the profile image was updated successfully.
2) To know if the image upload was successful developers need to either:
  a) query /1/users/profile_image/:screen_name and cache the URL you are
redirected to (more details:
http://dev.twitter.com/doc/get/users/profile_image/:screen_name)
  b) wait until the next time you call /1/account/verify_credentials
In both cases if the image URL is different the profile image was
successfully updated.
3) If the URL doesn't change the profile image update was unsuccessful.

This isn't ideal we know. What I can tell you is we have engineers working
on improving this and providing a more reliable way for you to find out if
the image was successfully updated or not.

Hope that explains the situation more clearly for you. As we have news we'll
update the developer list as well as the public ticket on our Google Code
project:
  http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/detail?id=1745

Matt

--