I've done some further testing and found that when the
'in_reply_to_screen_name' is filled I do get replies to users that I
follow. But when that field isn't set I don't get them.
And I found that the replies with in_reply_to_screen_name empty also
are not displayed on my twitter homepage

So user1 replies to user2  with in_reply_to_screen_name filled
Tweet is shown on my twitter homepage and in the result of the
friends_timeline (or home_timeline, both tested) request.
But when user2 replies to user1 with in_reply_to_screen_name empty
Tweet isn't shown on my twitter homepage and not in the
friends_timeline request (or home_timeline)

oberver user id: 161263875
user1: 14741760
user2: 6028822

observer user is following both user1 and user2

object(stdClass)#36 (14) {
    ["in_reply_to_screen_name"]=>
    string(6) "Domien"
    ["in_reply_to_user_id"]=>
    int(6028822)
    ["geo"]=>
    NULL
    ["place"]=>
    NULL
    ["coordinates"]=>
    NULL
    ["favorited"]=>
    bool(false)
    ["in_reply_to_status_id"]=>
    int(20979439727)
    ["source"]=>
    string(67) "<a href="http://twitter.com/"; rel="nofollow">Twitter
for iPhone</a>"
    ["contributors"]=>
    NULL
    ["truncated"]=>
    bool(false)
    ["user"]=>
    object(stdClass)#37 (1) {
      ["id"]=>
      int(14741760)
    }
    ["created_at"]=>
    string(30) "Thu Aug 12 23:03:29 +0000 2010"
    ["id"]=>
    int(21013121914)
    ["text"]=>
    string(52) "@Domien Haha, direct al ruzie. Met een bot. Classic!"