I don't know how Twitter are shortening the URLs.

However. IIRC Twitter's shortener is designed to always use 20
characters (I believe) so that as developers we can pass in full URLs
knowing how much space each URL will take up in a tweet and show the
character count accordingly. Matt / Taylor might be able to comment
further though.

-N

--
Nik Fletcher