Taylor, I don't need this as much as some other developers but I think
I understand why they keep asking for this.

Sure, our app is not "logged in". But many apps make the user log in
to Twitter in order to use the app. Then, when the user is done with
the app, they can't just logout and leave, we have to tell them to go
to Twitter.com and logout. This is embarrassing (unprofessional) and
potentially risky. If they don't understand that they are still logged
in with Twitter, they may make some mistake, such as tweeting from the
wrong account, and there could be privacy/security concerns about
subsequent actions a user may perform while unknowingly logged in to
Twitter.

Let me turn the question around: why does Twitter not want this?

Ken