Hey Bess,

The Streaming API doesn't support places but it does support 1-degree
latitude and longitude boxes. We've provided examples of each
Streaming API parameter in the docs. For location filtering you can
see the example here:
  http://dev.twitter.com/pages/streaming_api_methods#locations

For restricting the Search API to a place you can use the 'place'
parameter. For example, to search for Tweets from Twitter HQ (place
ID: 247f43d441defc03) I would use this query:
  http://search.twitter.com/search.json?q=place%3A247f43d441defc03

Hope that helps,
Matt

--