Hi Jonathan,

The count we use is completely separate to search so no inference
should be drawn from there. As well as that the search index is only 5
or so days now so anything Tweeted before then won't be found.
When counting URLs we count the final destination of a shortURL so it
doesn't matter which is used.

Knowing this I took a look at the code you shared and it looks good,
but here's the problem I noticed. The URL being Tweeted is not the URL
you placed in data-counturl. You can see this when you hover over the
short URL in the backtype results.

Instead of:

http://blog.snowballfactory.com/2010/08/15/tweet-button-with-shortening-for-wordpress/

You are Tweeting:

http://blog.snowballfactory.com/2010/08/15/tweet-button-with-shortening-for-wordpress/?awesm=59O75&utm_medium=awe.sm-twitter&utm_source=direct-awe.sm&utm_content=tweet-button

When I replaced your data-counturl with the Tweeted URL I was shown a
count of 6. In this case 6 makes sense as this is the number of t.co
links created from that longer query string URL. The 3 other URLs are
not counted recognised because they have different utm_content and
awesm values.

I've passed this information onto the Tweet Button team who are
working on ways to identify that the URLs like this below are
collapsed into the correct URL:

[...]
http://blog.snowballfactory.com/2010/08/15/tweet-button-with-shortening-for-wordpress/?awesm=59QYb&utm_medium=awe.sm-twitter&utm_source=direct-awe.sm&utm_content=backtype-tweetcount
http://blog.snowballfactory.com/2010/08/15/tweet-button-with-shortening-for-wordpress/?awesm=59O74&utm_medium=awe.sm-twitter&utm_source=direct-awe.sm&utm_content=twitter-publisher-author
http://blog.snowballfactory.com/2010/08/15/tweet-button-with-shortening-for-wordpress/?awesm=59O73&utm_medium=awe.sm-twitter&utm_source=direct-awe.sm&utm_content=twitter-publisher-main

I hope this explains why your situation occurs,
Best,
Matt