I agree this isn't clear in the docs so i'll get onto updating them.

The structure for this URL is:

POST /1/:user/:list_id/subscribers.{format}

where:
:user is the user_id or screen_name of the user who owns the list
:list_id is the ID or slug for the list owned by :user. This isn't
necessarily the display name of the list.

The method will then subscribe the user who you are authenticating as
to the list of subscribers.

For example if I want to subscribe to the world-leaders list created
by the @verified account I would use:
  POST /1/verified/world-leaders/subscribers.json

On success the method will return the details of of the list subscribed to.

Hope that helps
Matt

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 6:12 PM, Matthew Terenzio <mteren...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Try screen_name instead of userid. I'm not certain but it rings a bell. Not
> that it shouldn't work with id, of course.
>
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 8:49 PM, bear <bea...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Using oAuth I am making the following call:
>>
>> POST /1/userid/3968155/subscribers.json
>>
>> where userid is the user whose oAuth tokens are in use and 3968155 is
>> the id of the list i'm trying to subscribe to
>>
>> Twitter returns a stock 404 result
>>
>> I've even tried it with the slug id of the list, same result.  I also
>> know I have a valid oAuth environment because i'm getting the list
>> information from a previous valid call to /1/userid/lists/
>> subscriptions.json and I always do /1/account/verify_credentials.json
>> when i'm working on the library code.
>>
>> any clues?
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> --