1) Yes: the timelines are easier to use and more flexible, while the
streaming API gives you realtime statuses and no problems with rate limits.
2) Streams. I'm not part of the Twitter team, but I really think that
they would recommend Streams. Of course, it depends a bit on the situation.
3) I think so, yes.

Tom