Thanks for your response, Abraham!

Twitter is returning a code of "400" with a description of...

"Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand."

I'm making a account/rate_limit_status call in the page too and always
get near 350 remaining hits, so I assumed I wasn't running into rate
limiting. Here's the response data from that call...

{"reset_time_in_seconds":1283878819,"reset_time":"Tue Sep 07 17:00:19
+0000 2010","remaining_hits":350,"hourly_limit":350}

I've also set the app for read/write in the Twitter console (I've
reset it a couple times as well to make sure).

JC