Yes, we have a global catch-all rule that all POST operations are
write operations.

User/lookup is typically a GET operation anyway (
http://dev.twitter.com/doc/get/users/lookup ) and you can pass the
up-to 100 ids as a long query string parameter, provided your HTTP
implementation allows for the length you're aiming for. For best
results with the lookup API, I recommend keeping the limit a bit below
100 for best operations.

Taylor