I'm sure I read somewhere that the API limit applies to the account
and not the application?  Perhaps someone here can confirm.

In that case, if you have multiple applications registered under the
same account, it might be these other apps that are using the limit.

I once had a similar issue, turns out that it was my local client
(which I was using for monitoring the account and replying to users)
which was using the other portion of the limit.

Try disabling any other apps on the account and also shutting down any
local monitoring client etc. and see if that helps.

Tim