Streaming gives you true geo-tagged results in that only Tweets which
have been geo-tagged are matches. Search does that but will also, if
no geo-tagged information is available, attempt to match Tweets based
on the value of the free text location field of the users profile.

For many applications the assumption that the location is accurate is
not suitable. The example being this:

My profile location says San Francisco. I go on holiday to England but
don't update my profile. I also don't have data roaming on my phone so
instead Tweet from twitter.com using the hotel. Every tweet I make
isn't geo-coded. According to search all my Tweets are from San
Francisco despite them being from England.

So it really depends on you usage. Completeness and accuracy is
available on the Streaming API whilst the Search API will give you
relevant Tweets from 1 up to ~5 days old, which may not be a complete
representation or entirely accurate (with relation to geo).

In addition search is rate limited and has limitations on the
complexity of your search query.

Hope that helps,
Matt

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 6:50 PM, @IDisposable <idisposa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Also, all automated repetitive searching should be on the Streaming API.
>> Search is intended largely for ad-hoc queries.
>
> If Stream honored the location search (where the tweep's profile's
> location mattered), I would switch in seconds.  Sadly, they are NOT
> equivalent.
>
> Marc

> Change your membership to this group:

Matt Harris