Whoa - couldn't disagree more. I think the implicit (or explicit, in
ToS - havent't checked) understanding is that apps with read access
can access DMs in order to return them to the current user. E.g.
desktop clients or web apps with client-like functionality. They're
clearly certainly not the most secure private channel possible but
they are very much intended to be private.

As with a lot of other social services' APIs, the data returned might
not be usable in all contexts.  The goal of OAuth is to allow an app
to make calls on a user's behalf, it does not enforce that data be
used scrupulously or define what constitutes said scrupulous use.

Even if a fine-grained permission were added for accessing DMs, this
would not mean the user gave permission for the app developer to
personally look at their DMs.