I would like to show the consumers his notifications (  tweets of
people he follows )  when he logs in to our portal.

Is there a Daemon client available already; in Perl or Java
preferably.
I am pretty new to any API access on twitter.

Also apparently from the dev.twitter site there are no restrictions on
number of notifications / followings etc for API access.
But how does twitter make sure they wont run out of resources by
giving unlimited service.