Thanks, I know how xAuth works. ;-) This isn't xAuth though.

The Base String consists of all parameters you send to Twitter. You
aren't sending x_auth_username/x_auth_password (nor should you) so it
shouldn't be in the Base String.

You may be confused between xAuth and OAuth here: xAuth is simply an
extension to OAuth, so that Desktop applications can easily exchange
usernames/passwords for credentials. However, a call to any other
endpoint than access_token is not at all related to xAuth, so you should
not be sending the username and/or password. That's what credentials are
for :-)

Tom