This is how we architected the first version of TweetPo.st back before
the streaming API was available. It was a good workaround for
regularly polling the accounts of all our users individually to know
if they had tweeted. However, we ran into the same issue with the
follower/following ratio.

The good news is that this is exactly what the Streaming API is
designed to solve. We switched to using the Streaming API with the
follow predicate (http://dev.twitter.com/pages/
streaming_api_methods#follow). But that was before Site Streams
(http://dev.twitter.com/pages/site_streams), which basically does
exactly what it sounds like you want right out of the box.

-jonathan

--
Jonathan Strauss, Co-Founder
http://awe.sm