Thanks for all the questions and feedback everyone. Hopefully my
comments below will answer your questions.

Robert/Tom: The API limit for #newtwitter applies the same as other
applications so the requests are deducted from the authenticated users
rate limit.
Ed: There are plans to allow more customisation than currently exists
on twitter.com. With the new design many users may want to update
their images to work with the new padding and width though. The space
in the lower right is empty at the moment, but like twitter before,
new features/enhancements may occupy or use it. Analytics wise there
are no plans to do something like this - if it was a project what kind
of things would you find useful?
Dewald: The default format of http://twitter.com/themattharris is not
being phased out. We just wanted to let you know the new format (with
/#!) is expected, and is something apps may find users giving them.
You don't need to update the links in your application unless you wish
to.
Brian: We intend to have entities support in results from the Search
API. At the moment they are not yet supported there.
Damon: the retweet and retweet_count fields are currently disabled.
Some issues were identified soon after they were released which we are
working through.

Best,
@themattharris