Just wanted to chime in that the documentation is, indeed, pretty
confusing. I'd suggest the description paragraph beginning with
something like:

"This parameter is only available to Firehose, Retweet, Link, Birddog
and Shadow clients."

I assume the recommended approach to not missing data on reconnects is
using two streams? Do any Ruby folk out there have suggestions on how
they're doing this? I'm currently using the voloko/twitter-stream gem.

Damon