I'm trying to connect the Twitter API with our sites SSO and I found
out that the user info returned from 'account/verify_credentials' does
not include the email adress.

I know that Twitter has deprecated the use of it the other way around
(get ID based on Email:
http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk/browse_thread/thread/5c1086ddab475a4d/b3dd05ed675bc178?lnk=gst&q=email#b3dd05ed675bc178
) but is this really the same issue?

I used this walkthrough with oAuth to fetch user info:
http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/php/how-to-authenticate-users-with-twitter-oauth/comment-page-1/#comment-320195

Background:

Our SSO allows users to log in to our sites with Email/Password , and
connect their Facebook account (soon Twitter aswell if we can get the
email out), and since we're combining several old systems where the
usernames between different accounts might be equal, we decided to use
the email address as the users unique identifier..