I resolved this problem by adding a few seconds of sleep after
creating a list and populating it. The problem did not appear when I
first tested my code, but it was morning European time and Twitter may
not have been too busy.

In the process of finding this out, I seem to have created some
corrupt lists that cannot be edited or deleted.

May I ask someone from Twitter to kindly contact me to help get these
lists removed from my account!

Thanks!

Ken