I'll agree with all of you that'd it be valuable for us to do this.

The current state of availability of tweets is a capacity issue. It's
not in anyway a deliberate prevention of access.

As for since_id in this context -- it'd be great if it'd work to just
use since_id=1, but it doesn't. I don't even think it'd work if you
knew the very first status id that the user had ever posted.. because
in most cases, that status id would be unknown to the back end
transport layer (for the same reason it can't access the tweet
itself).

If we could provide a means today to allow complete traversal of a
user_timeline for a specific user with over ~3200 tweets, we would --
and I'm pretty confident we will. But not today and not tomorrow.

Taylor