Yes, there's a limit of 250 direct messages per day according to:
http://support.twitter.com/forums/10711/entries/15364

I'm not sure if there are any policies against automatically direct messaging
someone when they follow you, but a 250/day would certainly prevent that at
some point. I don't know the details of your application, but if you were only
planning to send new followers a direct message, perhaps you can avoid asking
them to follow you and sending them a direct message by just showing them what
you wanted to message them when they come back from the OAuth authorization.

--
Thomas Mango