There are many options with the Twitter API today. There are a number of
streaming-based products, like the core Streaming API, User Streams, and
Site Streams. Streaming technologies give developers alternate
implementation paths to monitor tweets of certain users, certain keyword
searches, and numerous other use cases.

By using Streaming in conjunction with the REST API, the vast majority of
developers should never require whitelisting. Further, if your API calls are
executed from the perspective of a member (represented by an access token),
you'll have 350 requests per hour/user for supplemental API requests.

If your application requires more API calls than this to continue
functioning, you may need to explore other implementation options, such as
streaming APIs, even more aggressive caching, or more complex request
queueing systems. Have a user that needs more than 350 requests in an hour
to completely process for some operation in your application? Queue the rest
of your operations for later. You essentially have 8,400 requests per day to
make requests on behalf of a user.

Taylor